Living with regrets – How To Unlock Yourself From Regrets by Tendayi Ganga.
Hi everyone, this is Tendayi Ganga, CEO of Born To Shine Organization.
Please subscribe to my channel for more inspirational videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv09oM0R8fY
Ever wish you could go back in time and change a decision?
What is Regret?
Regret is a negative emotional state and feeling a sense of sorrow, guilt, distress, loss, anger for a bad outcome due to a mistake or decisions we made or the words we said in the past.
It is a painful experience, though if one chooses to learn from the mistakes and take corrective action and pursue a new path, it can be a learning curve and can be used as an opportunity to become better.
The pain of regret can result in refocusing and taking corrective action or pursuing a new path. However, the less opportunity one has to change the situation, the more likely it is that regret can turn into rumination and chronic stress that damages the mind and body. Research says ongoing feelings of regrets can be detrimental to our health and can lead to chronic stress, anxiety, depression, low-self esteem and bitterness.
We all make mistakes and we feel that sense of regret, the challenge comes when we become obsessed and continue to replay the past scenes in our mind, wishing we had done things differently. This can cripple and rob us of our joy and keep us in misery.
Here are some tips to unlock ourselves from regret and move on:
The battle starts in the mind. We can change the way we think or see things and choose to focus on the positive and meaningful things that we can do or have.
- Learn from the situation and use the wisdom and strength gained to overcome and set new goals in life.
- Forgive yourself and move on.
- Learn to apologise and let go of past hurts.
- Learn to say NO. Let your ‘YES’ be ‘YES’ and your ‘No’, ‘No’.
- Run your race and stay in your lane, no matter how slow. You will get there. Take a step at a time.
- Research and seek advice from reliable sources.
- Seek medical help, counselling, prayers if you find yourself unable to stop thinking about regrets.
Life is a journey. It comes with its challenges. The way we respond and react will determine the outcome.
Are you overwhelmed or you are an overcomer?